Monday, February 15, 2010

Small order this week. Seems we've filled up the freezer with Bounty meats. One thing I've noticed is that there is absolutely no waste when I shop through Bounty. Since the food is so good, we savor it and welcome left overs. The meat is incredibly lean and not pumped full of water. Therefore a pound of meat seems to go twice as far as grocery fare. Time for some meal planning to use up what we have stockpiled.

This week's order was just over $38.00 - just enough to get my home delivery.
Brussel Sprouts - Gardner's Gladiolus (Glad they are back! More produce - yeah!)
Gala Apples - Split Rail Apple Farm
2% Milk - Evans Farmhouse Creamery
Pasta Capellini - The Pasta Shoppe
Sweet Country Italian Dressing - Ramona's Dressing
Bratwurst - Purdy's
Lamb Loin Chops - Lamb's Quarters Organic Farm

And my weekly staples
Salad Bouquet - Fingerlakes Fresh
White Bread Loaf - Whispering Pines Bakery

So what have I planned?
Well, Wednesday night I think we'll eat the bratwurst with brussel sprouts in place of sauerkraut. I'll slice the sprouts thin and sautee them and the meat - braised in beer of course! Buttermilk corn bread made with Gianforte Farms cornmeal and New Hope Mills buttermilk pancake mix - see earlier post for recipe.

Lamb is something new to us. Not sure how to serve it. I'm thinking panfried with an Red Jacket Orchard applesauce glaze served with grilled Bounty potatoes and onions. I have a little Whispering Pines pumkin bread left that might make a nice compliment. That bread is delicious - moist even after several days in the fridge.

Oh, dear! Where did my bottle of Ramona's dressing go? I tend to collect half full jars of salad dressings, but not this one - empty and gone. Missed it at the end of this week . More in the cart!

I'm hoping to make some Lemon Hop Ricotta with the milk. We'll see how that goes. Maybe serve it with the pasta and marinara sauce from The Pasta Shoppe, and some Quarry Brook Farms mild Italian sausage - sounds like a good Saturday supper.

Around the farm... Day off from work today - so needed. I cleaned the cellar to set up a workspace for making soap. The fats are heating and the lye cooling as I write this. Got a shipment of bottles in today, so I can now schedule production runs of both mustards, a new Hopped Up Italian seasoning, and Hopped Up Beer Can Chicken Rub just in time for spring. Just need to finish the new labels - I'm in a creative slump! As soon as the soap traces, I'm down to the brewshop to finish up an inventory and restock order. Come on by in a week or two, and brew your own with Foothill Hops, soon to be available through the Bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment