Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mushrooms and Meatloaf

The mushroom kit is working overtime - a half dozen large portabellos this morning. I decided to turn them into mushroom gravy - the perfect opportunity to use up some of the whey I'd saved from the panir project. Gravy means meatloaf, and meatloaf means potatoes. So Sunday supper was planned before I even had my coffee this morning.

Mushroom Gravy...

1 cup chopped portabello mushrooms
2 Tbs butter
1 cup whey (or water or milk)


1/2 cup whey (or water)
1/4 cup Gianforte flour


Sautee the mushrooms in the butter, then add the whey (water, milk) and heat slowly. In a small bowl, dissolve the flour in the remaining liquid. Stir slowly into the hot mushroom broth. Cook until thickened.

Bounty Meatloaf...
1 lb Drover Hill Ground Chuck
1/2 cut chopped Mizrahi Manor onions
1/2 cup Gianforte 3 grain cereal
1/2 cup Pasta Shoppe marina sauce
1 large egg (or 2 mini eggs if you have bantam hens like we do)
Optional: 1/4 cup diced green pepper (hope you are as lucky as I was to have some in the freezer)
Mix thoroughly. Place in loaf pan and cook at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Garlic Yukon Gold New Potatoes - Boil small Peaceful Acres Yukon Gold potatoes, then toss with melted butter and fresh crushed garlic.

Finished the plate with a green salad of Fingerlakes Fresh salad bouquet, some Jewitts cheddar and Ramona's sweet Italian dressing.

Did you notice my new dishes? I decided that the photo shoots deserved a better background than my 10 year old plates so I splurged some of my Bounty savings on new tableware. Life is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment