Sunday, April 11, 2010

Poolville Bounty

I missed the CNY Bounty order deadline last week so I decided to take a roadtrip over to the Poolville Winter Farmers Market. First, I was surprised to see so many people there. I had to walk a quarter mile from my car to the community center where the market is held. But hey, I need the exercise and the visit was well worth the walk.

My shopping haul:
1/2 pound Elm Oyster Mushrooms from The Imaginary Farmer
1 pound Old Granddad sharp cheddar from Jewitt's Cheese
1 quart Strawberry yogurt from Evan's Creamery

I talked with friends from Maple Avenue Farm, Jewitts, Quarry Brook Farm, and Drover Hill Farm who were all selling their tasty products which are staples of our Bounty diet. Also ran into the folks from Empire Brewing Company who were there shopping for today's slow food brunch. We had a nice chat about the beer that they are making with our hops. (Dave - my vote goes to "EMPIRE GOLD").

In case you are wondering, here is the menu for their slow food brunch posted on Facebook.

Empire Brewing Company ...today's 'Slow Food' sunday brunch specials: FREE RANGE OMELET- w/ Amish eggs, 10 yr aged cheddar, Elm oyster mushroom & spring chive w/ breakfast potato & organic rosemary bread... BELTED GALWAY BURGER - Meadowwood Farms prime beef burger topped w/ sundried tomato & basil cheddar... OYSTER MUSHROOM FAJITA - local... two-tone Elm mushrooms w/ spring thyme, onion, pepper, nys cheddar-jack & a moca heti

I also met the very nice folks from Poolville Country Store and Gianforte Farms flour milling. I hope to produce a new Foothill Farms product with Gianforte grains. More to come.

On a non-food note, I talked at length with Heather from Dream Weaver Creations in Earlville. She is going to process our alpaca fiber this spring for us. I was so excited to find a local fiber mill.

Drover Hill didn't have bologna with them at the market, so since I was in the neighborhood, I stopped by their B&B and spent a few minutes with my friend Stephanie. Picked up two large chunks of bologna - one plain and one garlic. Got a couple warm chocolate chip cookies as a bonus. So much for the calories burned in the walk to and from the car.

Check out Saturday supper and Sunday dinner to see what I made with my purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment